Monday, April 27, 2009

Walmart Reusable Grocery Bags

Our family officially went "green" this weekend.

My husband and I agreed to buy our first reusable shopping bags at Walmart. I was surprised to find that they are actually very durable and have lots more room than your average plastic bag. In just one blue tote we were able to fit to large bags of Ruffles chips, bread, english muffins, and hot dog buns. And there was still plenty of room left for lots more!

We figure we use on average 8+ plastic grocery bags every time we go shopping for groceries (not even including basic toiletries or non-grocery shopping items). And if we go shopping on average 4 times a month that is 32 bags minimum a month and 384 in a year!

Now the trick is to keep them on hand so we can use them each time. We stored all 4 bags in the trunk of our van for when we go grocery shopping. I can't wait to use them the next time we go grocery shopping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear a fellow BBCer went green on shopping bags:) I love mine, I bought some as soon as they hit the stores about a year ago. Just another idea. I love them because with their size and straight sides they are also great for transporting goodies to picnics or school. I take one when I hit garage sales. So many, many, uses! GL Jamie (momasn)